Dutch giants Ajax have approached Tottenham about the possibility of taking winger Steven Bergwijn back to his home country in the new year.
The 24-year-old was the first signing of the José Mourinho era in January 2020, although he has struggled to adapt to English football and make a first-team impact – scoring just four goals and providing nine assists in 62 appearances so far.
Bergwijn has barely featured since Antonio Conte took the managerial reins at Spurs in November following Nuno Espirito Santo’s sacking, and with the January transfer window approaching, the out-of-favour attacker has been linked with a loan move away from north London with a number of clubs circling.
The Amsterdam club – who completed the Champions League group stage with a 100% record by beating Sporting CP on Tuesday night – would make room in the squad by selling Brazilian winger David Neres.
Speaking about a potential move for Bergwijn last week, Conte said he would ‘evaluate’ the Netherlands international’s suitability.
“We are talking about a player that has important skills,” he said. “It was a pity for me but not for the national team that he scored [during the November international break]. I would have liked to have had him during the two weeks of the international break to know him much better.
“But he has great quality – he’s great one-vs-one, very fast, great quality to beat the man and score.
“Now we are working, he is understanding what I want from him. For me he’s one of the three strikers, he can play in every three position for the strikers.
“He is a player I have to make an important evaluation but he is in our squad and I count on him. [Against Brentford on Thursday] he’s ready and available. Against Mura he had a problem and otherwise he should have played, but tomorrow he’s available.”
Bergwijn spent five years in Ajax’s youth setup before moving to PSV Eindhoven when he was 13. Ajax had wanted to sign him before he joined Spurs in 2020, but PSV refused to sell to a direct rival.