Japan admits the Olympics Games are at risk

Olympics Minister says there’s a need for a plan B

Taro Kono
Taro Kono
Youtube

Taro Kono, Japan’s administrative and regulatory reform minister, has said what many have been thinking and what nobody has been daring to say, which is that the hosting of the Olympic Games in the country depends on the evolution of the coronavirus pandemic.

He even said that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) should have backup options ready.

“We need to do the best we can to prepare for the Games at this moment, but it could go either way,” Kono said as he spoke at the Reuters Next conference.

“Anything is possible, but as the host of the Games we need to do whatever we can so that when it’s a ‘go’ then we can have a good Olympic Games.

“The IOC must be thinking about plan B or plan C, but the situation is not easy.”

A state of emergency was declared in Tokyo this month, as there had been a spike in cases in the city.

The Japanese population aren’t as enthused as they once were about the Olympic Games, with a recent survey showing that 80 percent of people would be in favour of postponing the Games again or of cancelling them for good.

Yoshir Mori, the president of the organising committee, explained earlier this week that a decision will be made in the next two months.

The Olympic Games are scheduled to be held between July 23 and August 8, while the Paralympics would be between August 24 and September 5.

Source of the article

Author: XenBet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *