Cycling Dutchman taking a break
Dutch cyclist Tom Dumoulin has decided to take a break from the sport for an undetermined length of time.
The 30-year-old made the decision in consultation with his team, Jumbo-Visma, and will not be paid during his time off.
Dumoulin announced his intention to team bosses on Friday night, saying he isn’t happy with his performance and he needs some time to consider his future.
The decision, placing his cycling career in doubt, has come as a surprise to many as earlier this week Dumoulin was quoted as saying he was looking forward to the new season, but he now won’t be taking part. Not for now, at least.
“I took the decision yesterday and the team supports me in it, and it feels really good,” said Dumoulin in a team statement.
“It is really as if a backpack of a hundred kilos has slipped off my shoulders. I immediately woke up happy.
“It feels so good that I finally took the decision to take some time for myself. That says enough.”
Dumoulin has struggled with injury since 2019 and hasn’t looked the same as when he was so successful in 2017 and 2018. Last year, he only finished seventh in the Tour, despite his status as one of the favourites.